Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I just finished day one of my interview conference at the ILC in Richmond, VA.  I admit that I came here with little expectation of what to expect during this week.  Which in some ways is good, because I came with a "blank slate" mindset.  But, today was different than I thought it would be.  Interesting comment isn't it?  That's right, I came here with little expectation, but I struggled with today because it did not meet the "little" that I came here expecting to experience.  

Let me explain a little more.  I thought I would be in meetings all day hearing about God's work in the different regions around the globe.  I truly thought that I would be going non-stop from the time I started my day until I laid my head on my pillow.  That was so NOT what I experienced today.  Please do not misunderstand me, it was a good day, but there was more "down" time than I expected.  Therefore, I did struggle with frustration over not really having a set agenda to follow.

Now, here is where the God lesson comes into the story.  For the past week He has been trying to get my attention and teach be about being a "Being Christian" instead of a "Doing Christian." Stay with me here.  In our American church culture, there is an expectation of doing instead of being.  To be a "good Christian" we must do "church" activities.  What a lie we have been fed from the enemy.  PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME.  I do NOT believe God wants us to be slacker saints, or couch potato Christians.  Part of being a Christ follower is to use the gifts, talents, and abilities He gives us to serve within a local body of believers. BUT, the question I am asking is, "Are we Christians because we serve, or do we serve because we are Christians?"

The following is a part of today's daily devotional found in "My Utmost for His Highest."  
"Staleness is an indication that something in our lives is out of step with God.  We say to ourselves, 'I have to do this thing or it will never get done.'  That is the first sign of staleness.  Do we feel fresh this very moment or are we stale, frantically searching our minds for something to do?  Freshness is not the result of obedience; it comes from the Holy Spirit.  Obedience keeps us 'in the light as He is in the light...'"(1 John 1:7) 

It all comes down to not what we do, but who we do it for.  It is all about Him and Him alone.  God was trying to pull me away today to spend time with Him, and I fought Him because it wasn't what I thought I should be "doing."  I hope I did not miss something special because of my stubbornness.  God wants nothing more than to fellowship with you (and I don't mean an ice cream social after Sunday evening service).  He wants you all to Himself.  Remember He said that He is a "jealous God" (Exodus 20:5).  Put nothing ahead of Him, including your busyness.  

"Jealously guard your relationship with God.  Jesus prayed 'that they may be one just as We are one' - with nothing in between (John 17:22).  Keep your whole life continually open to Jesus Christ.  Don't pretend to be open with Him.  Are you drawing your life from any source other than God Himself?  If you are depending on something else as your source of freshness and strength, you will not realize when His power is gone."  (Chambers, Oswald. "My Utmost for His Highest," January 20)

Today, work on being a "Being Christian" instead of a "Doing Christian.  Focus on "being" with Him today instead of all you have planned to "do" for Him.  Then your service will be even sweeter to Him and to you! 

No comments: